Sunday, April 17, 2011

This weeks happenings

   We have been pretty busy here. We are calving heifers out now. We ride through them 2-3 times a day. We haven't had to pull any,  hope we can keep that going. I'm learning so much about cows and training horses. I can watch all the horse training videos and read all the books. But the best way to really learn is to have someone teach and see what is really going on. There are so many small subtle details that can be missed if you don't know what your looking for.
    We roped and branded and castrated  some yearling calves. Im learning a lot. It is so much fun roping. I need so much practice. There is so much going on when you are roping. You gots to know where the cows are, where everyone in the branding trap is, what your horse is doing. The list goes on and on. Man oh man it is fun.
         Been doing a lot of fencing, its the "spring cleaning" of ranch work. The fencing truck is an old Chevy pick-up that has everything needed to fix and build fence.  Heres a picture of fence stretchers working.  The next picture is of the ladies who came over at lunch to inspect the fence and make sure I had packed a healthy lunch.



I have been working on my chinks in the evenings. Stamping the yokes and the sidepanels. I'll post them in an update post.  Until next take care

No comments: